[DWJ] Re: Howl movie vs. book Now with SPOILERS

shawyer at mail.utexas.edu shawyer at mail.utexas.edu
Mon May 22 10:27:04 EDT 2006

Quoting Paul Andinach <pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au>:

> On Sat, 20 May 2006, Mwa wrote:
>
> > Otter Perry wrote:
>
> > > SPOILERS FOLLOW

> > > I found Sophie's age variations a little confusing and will have
> > > to watch the film again [which I'm planning to do with some
> > > frequency anyway] to figure out if I can make sense of them.
>
> > Ah, well, me and my mum worked out that her age changes with her
> > love for Howl.
>
> I don't think that works. Consider, for instance, the scene where Howl
> shows her around his patch of the Marshes, where she becomes younger
> and younger and then is suddenly old again in a moment when she
> realises that Howl's thinking of leaving.
>
> My theory is that she's only old when she remembers to be. When she's
> happy, when she's living for the moment and not regretting the past or
> fearing the future, she becomes herself again.

Yes. In the book Howl looks at Sophie's spell when she's not aware, and comes to
the conclusion that part of the problem is that she's doing it herself, that is,
she's comes to believe that she really is like an old woman, thus she appears
like an old woman. I saw Sophie's changing ages in the film as harkening back
to that in the book: when Sophie forgets about how the hat-shop made her feel,
and instead becomes her true self, then the spell begins to lift in those
moments.