[DWJ] Re: Howl movie vs. book Now with SPOILERS

Paul Andinach pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Sat May 20 11:03:47 EDT 2006

On Sat, 20 May 2006, Mwa wrote:

> Otter Perry wrote:

> > SPOILERS FOLLOW

> > I found Sophie's age variations a little confusing and will have
> > to watch the film again [which I'm planning to do with some
> > frequency anyway] to figure out if I can make sense of them.

> Ah, well, me and my mum worked out that her age changes with her
> love for Howl.

I don't think that works. Consider, for instance, the scene where Howl
shows her around his patch of the Marshes, where she becomes younger
and younger and then is suddenly old again in a moment when she
realises that Howl's thinking of leaving.

My theory is that she's only old when she remembers to be. When she's
happy, when she's living for the moment and not regretting the past or
fearing the future, she becomes herself again.

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."