[DWJ] Marking systems

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Wed May 10 14:00:35 EDT 2006

Lili said...

> Oh, and I went to the University of Melbourne, and they had the wackiest
> marking system ever.
>
> It goes H1, H2A, H2B, H3, P, N
>
> an H1 is 80% and above
> H2A is 75-80
> H2B is 70-75
> H3 is 60-70
> P is anything above 40
> and N is anything below.

Actually, that looks to me like a pretty straightforward equivalent to
First-Class Honours, Second-Class Honours Grade One, Second-Class Honours
Grade Two, Third-Class Honours, Pass and fail.  Which is the pretty much
universal set of degree classifications in the UK and Ireland, at least.

The founders of your university were probably British or Irish colonists who
brought the system with them.

Until the sky falls on our heads...

Dorian.
--
Dorian E. Gray
israfel at eircom.net
www.livejournal.com/users/dorianegray

"Worst fears realised darling Seth and Rueben too send gumboots."
- Stella Gibbons, "Cold Comfort Farm"