[DWJ] Re: Congratulations, and an OT question

Kyra Jucovy klj at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Wed May 10 11:59:28 EDT 2006

On Tue, 9 May 2006, Charles Butler wrote:

> "Elizabeth G. Holtrop" <elizabeth at bouma-holtrop.com> wrote:
>
>   >My French professor holds two MAs because her master's degree from France did not count in the US, so she got another in the US. She told me the French degrees are the only ones the US doesn't recognize, but that seems very odd to me! Does anyone have any information about which degrees are recognized where? I know it's a big question, but you all seem so knowledgable here. ;)
>
>   What was her subject? And when did she take her MA? I ask because my mother-in-law (who was French) found that her degree in law was useless when she moved to England in the late '50s, because of the differences between the two legal codes. I can imagine that something similar might apply in some other subjects too. Otherwise, it's all very odd indeed.
>
>   Charlie

My friend who is studying law here in the US has told me that there's a
special MA-level degree which is specifically geared towards peple who
have already gotten degrees in law in other countries.  So you don't have
to go through the same process that someone who's just beginning to study
law goes through, but you also don't get thrown right into a different
legal system.  It sounds pretty logical to me.

					---Kyra

---
"Thinking about 'My Humps' as the title of a song about the hotness of
Kierkegaard is not best practice, eroticism-wise."
					---John Holbo