[DWJ] Re: Congratulations, and an OT question

Elizabeth G. Holtrop elizabeth at bouma-holtrop.com
Tue May 9 18:49:04 EDT 2006

Charles Butler <charlescbutler at btinternet.com> wrote:

"Elizabeth G. Holtrop"  wrote:

  >My French professor holds two MAs because her master's degree from  France did not count in the US, so she got another in the US. She told  me the French degrees are the only ones the US doesn't recognize, but  that seems very odd to me! Does anyone have any information about which  degrees are recognized where? I know it's a big question, but you all  seem so knowledgable here. ;)

 What was her subject? And when  did she take her MA? I ask because my mother-in-law (who was French)  found that her degree in law was useless when she moved to England in  the late '50s, because of the differences between the two legal codes.  I can imagine that something similar might apply in some other subjects  too. Otherwise, it's all very odd indeed.

  Belated congratulations to Ania, by the way! Any smugness is entirely justified, I'm sure. ;-)

  Charlie

  Her American degree is in French literature,  so I assumed her French one was the same.  I don't know for sure,  though, so I suppose the simplest thing to do would be to ask her.

  Since I haven't done so already, may I offer my congratulations to Ania, from a new member of the list. :)

  Elizabeth

  I've always had to run
    I don't know just why
    Desire slowly smoking