[DWJ] Re: Congratulations, and an OT question

Anna Zofia Skarzynska ania.s at tiscali.co.uk
Tue May 9 17:38:28 EDT 2006

You want barking? Try this for size.

In Polish schools in my day (1970-1981) in both primary and secondary
schools there were four possible marks: 2 (fail), 3, 4 and 5 (top).

This meant that the failure was pretty clear, as was success; 4 was a good
mark, since it was quite hard to get a 5. However, 3 was the unfairest of
marks, which had to do for the whole spectrum from near failure to really
OK, but not quite good enough for a 4.

Consequently, a system of refining the marks developed, with pluses and
minuses added to the numbers. So 2+ was still a fail, but not quite as bad
as 2. I remember that 3 minus, or even 3 minus minus (!) were quite
extensively used for a by the skin of your teeth pass. You could be
reasonably pleased with a 3 plus, if you were either completely unprepared
but managed to wing it, or if you weren't especially bright, but .somehow
managed to swot up enough. 4 minus was good, 4 better, 4 plus- nearly a 5. 5
minus was even better but not quite a 5.

As we were marked by continuous assessment (the best way, IMO), at the end
of the year the final mark was an average of all your marks received during
the year. We were marked for homework, oral answers in class, and the
occasional hour-long test, usually announced in advance but sometimes
unexpectedly sprung upon us. This is where the importance of getting a 3
minus minus rather than a 2 can be seen- the pluses and minuses were not
taken into account when working out the average.

If you failed one or two subjects (of up to a dozen or so) you got a chance
to sit an exam in late summer to try and improve your mark. If you failed
this, or if you'd failed more than 2 subjects, you repeated the year. As
many times as it took. Believe me, the threat of that was highly motivating.
I think the system worked very well, except for the silly grading. These
days the marks range from 1 (fail) to 6 (outstanding) which is fairer.

I don't know what happens at university level.

And thanks for the congrats, everyone! I'm still floating on a cloud of
elation, amazement and a touch of smugness. OK, probably more than a touch.

Ania