[DWJ] Re: Congratulations, and an OT question

Emma Comerford emmaco at tpg.com.au
Tue May 9 17:20:17 EDT 2006

At 03:38 AM 10/05/2006, you wrote:

>So, international list, anyone want to share grading around the world?

I went (well I continue to go without coursework) to the University of
Queensland in Australia.  Our required percentages even changed within
different courses, but for undergrad it was generally 50% to pass, 65% for
a credit, 75% for a distinction and 85% for a high distinction.  These were
given marks of 4, 5, 6 and 7 respectively.  Not sure what the cut-offs for
a 1, 2 or 3 were, but vaguely recall if you got a 3 it was a "conceded
pass", but I can't remember what that meant only that you couldn't get many
of them and remain enrolled. For most humanities courses you went back for
a separate honours year, which had smaller and more difficult classes and a
thesis. First class was an average of 90% or above, II-A was 80% or above
and II-B something else. No-one in my group got below a II-B, perhaps
because there were minimum standards to getting accepted into honours and
some people also dropped out throughout the year.

I think my PhD course is quite different to other countries as well, as I
only (only! ha!) have a thesis to complete. In my school you only have to
do coursework if it's felt you were deficient (ie hadn't ever studied) in
some area necessary to your thesis. I've audited some classes by choice but
never had to do any assessment for them.

This is an interesting thread but I can see why administrators start
pulling their hair over translating marks when a overseas student arrives!

Emma