[DWJ] Re: Congratulations, and an OT question

Anna Zofia Skarzynska ania.s at tiscali.co.uk
Tue May 9 17:02:53 EDT 2006

I don't know how this works in schools, because I didn't go to school in
Britain. University marks work like this:

40%- pass
over 70%- 1st.

I can't remember how the marks in between work out; I think 63% is either a
2.1 or a 2.2. Not exceptional, but certainly respectable. It might be that
50%-3rd, 60%- 2.2, 65%- 2.1, but I'm not sure.

While 70% seems like not a lot to get a first, in my first undergraduate
year at college no essay was ever marked above 70% (as a matter of policy, I
think), so getting even near that was an achievement. In the 2nd and 3rd
year a mark above 70% was possible but rare.

The archives course students were all highly motivated postgraduates and
even then getting anything over 60 % was pretty damn good. I was chuffed to
bits when I got 73% for an assignment on electronic records, of all things-
I think that was my best mark that year. I was one of the best at
palaeography and my end of year mark for that was 68%. So from the
perspective of this course I did well.

Ania