[DWJ] Re: Congratulations, and an OT question

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Tue May 9 15:05:56 EDT 2006

Laurie asked...

> So, international list, anyone want to share grading around the world?

I went to the University of Limerick, which models its grading system on the
US one.

So for any given piece of work (essay, project, examination...), we got a
percentage mark which translated into a letter grade.  A "real" passing mark
was a C minimum, which I think was 60% minimum (I can't actually remember
exactly what ranges of percentage-scores equated to what letters).  But a D
(50%-59%, I think) was a sort-of pass - I got a D for Economics, which
wasn't really a pass, but I wasn't required to repeat the module, as I would
have been had I "fully" failed it.

We also had continuous assessment, which meant that all marks for all work
were then averaged within each subject to provide one's end-of-period marks.

Then, at the end of one's entire course, all marks in all subjects (and the
mark for the thesis) were averaged, and that average was translated into one
of "First-class Honours", "Second-class Honours, grade One", "Second-class
Honours, grade Two", "Third-class Honours", "Pass" (these being the standard
"varieties" of degree one gets in these islands).

The practical upshot of all of which being, for me, that I spent four years
having fun and got a BA (II.2) (Bachelor of Arts, Second-class Honours,
grade Two), which is a nice respectable sort of a degree.  (Firsts are for
scholarly types, II.1s are for swots and those who want to do post-grad,
Thirds are a sort of "charity" Honours degree, and no-one ever admits to
having a Pass.)  I think, in UL's grading system, a II.2 equates to an
average percentage mark in the high 60s or low 70s - but it's almost 15
years since I graduated and I can't actually remember for sure.

(That was way more than you wanted to know, wasn't it?)

Until the sky falls on our heads...

Dorian.
--
Dorian E. Gray
israfel at eircom.net
www.livejournal.com/users/dorianegray

"Worst fears realised darling Seth and Rueben too send gumboots."
- Stella Gibbons, "Cold Comfort Farm"