[DWJ] Re: (now with minor^Wmajor spoilers for Dark Lord of Derkhol m)

jstallcup at juno.com jstallcup at juno.com
Mon May 8 01:02:58 EDT 2006

How about 4) It was rape, and DWJ deliberately didn't give it prominence because this is a children's book, and fundamentally a humorous, or perhaps black humorous or satirical one. Those readers who are ready and able to process the concept can do so, those who are not will just pass it right over (as so many readers have).
There's a comparable moment in Letters From Rifka by Karen Hesse. All we see from Rifka's point of view is that "The doctor spent a long time with Mother" and "Mother was trying to shield me." Those readers who are aware of what happens in wartime when refugee women are particularly vulnerable understand what probably happened to mother, and those who are not (often, those who are younger), can read the book without being horrified. Again, similar moment in The Year of Impossible Good-byes when Japanese soldiers take Korean girls away to the front lines of World War Two. They are destined to be comfort girls, and while we learn that some girls commit suicide by throwing themselves from the truck, the text does not deal directly with what happens to them. The reader who is ready and wants to know more can go look up the information, but the reader who is not can just read right over the moment that the girls are put into the jeep and leave the story.
Those of you who have been here a while may remember my awful experience teaching this book (my own fault for not properly preparing the class for it). There are a lot of ways in which this book subverts conventions of fantasy, and I think this rape scene is one of those ways. And that, I think, may account for the dissonance in the reading experience that I'm hearing in some of your emails. (It also explains my class' reaction to the book, I think).
Jackie