[DWJ] Re: (now with minor^Wmajor spoilers for Dark Lord of Derkholm)

sally at sallyodgers.com sally at sallyodgers.com
Sat May 6 21:44:08 EDT 2006

Elizabeth G. Holtrop writes:

>>Though the rape scene in Dark Lord bothers me immensely, mostly
>   >because it so so Damn Easy to fix.  I don't think you should put
>   >in a rape -- a violent gang rape, no less! -- if you can fix the
>   >emotional aftermath magically.

Does it occur to anyone else that rape in the Dark Lord universe might not
have the same connotations as it has for us? After all, at least part of our
horror of rape is cultural, and goes wayyyy back to when rape was a crime
against the victim's HUSBAND or FATHER or BETROTHED because the perpetrators
had "stolen" from him. Maybe in future we might see it as being just the
same as any other assault? And maybe that's the way Shona sees it. Of
course, there's the whole thing about sex being usually given in love, but
you might say eating-is-meant-to-be-enjoyable, so being forced to eat (say)
tripe is also violence of a kind?

Sallyo - retreating hurriedly.

Challenges failed; a failure descried-
Eleven men down- seven over the side.