[DWJ] violence fixed by magic (spoilery for Lackey, Rosenberg, and Dark Lord)

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Sat May 6 19:26:33 EDT 2006

>On Sat, 6 May 2006, Elizabeth G. Holtrop wrote:
>> That it's trivializing the violence, and quick fixes of  any sort that
>>don't allow for the character to change after the  violence, that bothers
>>you.  (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

Deborah replied
>No, that's exactly it!  It's related to the reason (*she admits
>sheepishly*) why I don't watch many action flicks; all that
>violence against innocent bystanders and it's never dealt with.
>I'm fine with no violence, or non-trivialised violence, but not
>with violence that exists but is made minor.

Spear-carriers of the world, unite!  Put down your spears and repeat after
me: "Freedom: I won't."

>>  After this discussion, the first book on my summer reading list is Dark
>>Lord!  I read it for the first time last summer but it seems I  forgot
>>or missed a lot.
>
>Well, maybe you didn't.  I'm making a big deal out of a tiny part
>of the book, mostly *because* it's a tiny part of the book. *g*

I think Shona has her got-to-deal-with-it stuff later.  Having been at risk
of rape isn't as big a deal to her as being thrown out of bardic college,
which *matters*...  And her reaction to receipt of the letter telling her
she's out on her ear is really rather more thorough-going than lying on the
ground saying, "Don't touch me!"  That's one of the reasons I am not
convinced that she was raped: she jolly well *does* react when something
goes badly wrong in her life.

Minnow