[DWJ] violence fixed by magic (spoilery for Lackey, Rosenberg, and Dark Lord)

deborah.dwj at suberic.net deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Sat May 6 17:31:26 EDT 2006

On Sat, 6 May 2006, Elizabeth G. Holtrop wrote:
> That it's trivializing the violence, and quick fixes of  any sort that don't allow for the character to change after the  violence, that bothers you.  (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

No, that's exactly it!  It's related to the reason (*she admits
sheepishly*) why I don't watch many action flicks; all that
violence against innocent bystanders and it's never dealt with.
I'm fine with no violence, or non-trivialised violence, but not
with violence that exists but is made minor.

>  After this discussion, the first book on my summer reading list is Dark  Lord!  I read it for the first time last summer but it seems I  forgot or missed a lot.

Well, maybe you didn't.  I'm making a big deal out of a tiny part
of the book, mostly *because* it's a tiny part of the book. *g*

-deborah
--
"`I am that merry wanderer of the night'?  I am that giggling-dangerous-
totally-bloody-psychotic-menace-to-life-and-limb, more like it."