[DWJ] Re: (now with minor^Wmajor spoilers for Dark Lord of Derkholm)

Elizabeth G. Holtrop elizabeth at bouma-holtrop.com
Sat May 6 17:07:42 EDT 2006

>Though the rape scene in Dark Lord bothers me immensely, mostly
  >because it so so Damn Easy to fix.  I don't think you should put
  >in a rape -- a violent gang rape, no less! -- if you can fix the
  >emotional aftermath magically.

  What do you think *are* the ethics of using magic as an emotional  "quick fix" in fantasy?  This has come up in other fantasy books  I've read.

  [okay, I'm not sure about the spoiler policy on this list, so scroll down for Mercedes Lackey spoilers]
  All right, in Arrow's Fall by Mercedes Lackey, one of the characters  gets raped, and the healers in her country use magic to heal her  emotions so she feels emotionally ready to marry the man she  loves.  Is it appropriate to put in that kind of violence if the  author is going to fix it with a method unavailable to real-life  victims?  I've never thought it was inappropriate, but your  question made me wonder.  Since violence is present in our world,  isn't it okay to explore ways it might be avoidable?  Doesn't  fiction do this in any scenario?  Do we have to avoid doing it  when it comes to violence in fiction?  As a writer of fantasy  (unpublished, but with hopes!), I like to use magic to correct  emotional traumas in my characters.  It makes me feel hopeful that  there may be ways that I hadn't considered, even in our magic-less real  world, to get around emotional problems.  Reading fantasy gives me  hope.  Isn't it okay to use magic to give hope to people, even
 though magic isn't an option after you close the covers of the book?

  Elizabeth

  I've always had to run
    I don't know just why
    Desire slowly smoking