[DWJ] Hi everyone!

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Sat May 6 12:44:00 EDT 2006

On May 6, 2006, at 10:31 AM, Elizabeth G. Holtrop wrote:

> sally at sallyodgers.com wrote:  I have a kind of feeling a lot of DWJ
> appeals more (or at least is
> better-appreciated by) adults. Hmmm. Why is she classed as a childrens
> writer, again?
>
> Sallyo.
>   I'm really not sure, except that people seem to think much  of
> fantasy is aimed at the YA readership, especially if it features
> teenaged characters in any way.

As far as I can tell, whether fantasy is classified as YA or adult
depends
entirely on whether there's sex or not.

In any case, many excellent children's books are more appreciated
by adults.  In fact, I think that's a sign of a really good children's
book --
that adults can read and enjoy it and get more out of it.

> I've heard that Robin McKinley is  annoyed that her books are
> classified
> as YA -- not that she wants to exclude that demographic, but adults and
> younger children also read her.

_Sunshine_, for example, is very definitely a book for adults.

> I'm tempted to talk to my  local library, though, about reshelving
> some of her books in the adult  area -- especially A Sudden Wild
> Magic, which I loved but which I  wouldn't have appreciated at age 12,
> either for its plot or for the  sexual element.  I'm not a prude, and
> if younger people enjoy the  book I think that's great, but it seems
> like that one at any rate was  definitely written for an older
> audience.

In my DWJs, it's listed as a book for adults.

In any case, younger people can take it out from the adult section,
can't they?

In America, anybody can be president.  That's
one of the risks you take.

                                - Adlai Stevenson