[DWJ] Hi everyone!

Elizabeth G. Holtrop elizabeth at bouma-holtrop.com
Sat May 6 12:31:29 EDT 2006

sally at sallyodgers.com wrote:  I have a kind of feeling a lot of DWJ appeals more (or at least is
better-appreciated by) adults. Hmmm. Why is she classed as a childrens
writer, again?

Sallyo.
  I'm really not sure, except that people seem to think much  of fantasy is aimed at the YA readership, especially if it features  teenaged characters in any way.  I've heard that Robin McKinley is  annoyed that her books are classified as YA -- not that she wants to  exclude that demographic, but adults and younger children also read her.

  I can't say whether I would have appreciated DWJ at a younger age,  since I didn't read her until I was 19.  I'm tempted to talk to my  local library, though, about reshelving some of her books in the adult  area -- especially A Sudden Wild Magic, which I loved but which I  wouldn't have appreciated at age 12, either for its plot or for the  sexual element.  I'm not a prude, and if younger people enjoy the  book I think that's great, but it seems like that one at any rate was  definitely written for an older audience.

  Cheers, Elizabeth

  I've always had to run
    I don't know just why
    Desire slowly smoking