[DWJ] Hi everyone! (now with minor spoilers for Dark Lord of Derkholm)

deborah.dwj at suberic.net deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Sat May 6 04:43:32 EDT 2006

On Sat, 6 May 2006, Roger Burton West wrote:
|On Sat, May 06, 2006 at 12:34:55AM -0700, sally at sallyodgers.com wrote:
|>Hmmm. Why is she classed as a childrens writer,
|>again?
|
|Because they won't let her write stories without sex in them for the
|adult market, and she doesn't want to write lots of sex?

hee.  Well, if we're looking at author's intent, rather than
publisher's choices, there's the article
from http://www.suberic.net/dwj/medusa.html :

  I found myself thinking as I wrote, "These poor adults are
  never going to understand this; I must explain it to them twice
  more and then remind them again later in different terms."

For the record, I disagree with the assumption of the Inherent
Wisdom in the Eyes of the Innocent Child, not least because I
don't believe in childhood innocence, and I'm not a romanticizer.
But there's some other interesting parts of that article, too.

  For children, if I want to send a decrepit starship full of
  witches to a quasi-monastery in another adjacent universe, no
  one turns a hair. But adults are handicapped by terminal
  assumptions about what goes with which genre. If they think I
  am writing fantasy, then my belligerent witches must go on a
  Quest armed only with swords and spells and either on foot or
  horseback; and if what I am doing is to be science fiction, no
  one aboard my starship is allowed magic, but only scientific
  principles not altogether yet proven, such as an ability to
  travel faster than light.

And back to Roger's point about sex:

  Contrary to most popular belief, children's books concern
  themselves vastly and outspokenly with sex, for two main
  reasons: first, because children are so frequently abducted and
  raped; and second, because children have to spend so much of
  their lives dealing with the sex life of their parents -
  particularly when those parents are divorcing.

Though the rape scene in Dark Lord bothers me immensely, mostly
because it so so Damn Easy to fix.  I don't think you should put
in a rape -- a violent gang rape, no less! -- if you can fix the
emotional aftermath magically.

-deborah
--
I'm not a roman, mum, and I never will be. I'm a kike, a yid, a
heebie, a hook-nose, I'm kosher, mum. I'm a red sea pedestrian, and