[DWJ] Hi everyone!

Kyra Jucovy klj at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Fri May 5 17:31:14 EDT 2006

On Fri, 5 May 2006, Emma Comerford wrote:

> I think I have the most boring discovery story, as I just sumbled across
> DWJ in the library when I was about 12. I can't even pin down which DWJ I
> read first! IIt was either Lives of Christopher Chant or Tale of Time City.
> I didn't actually realise until a few years later that they were by the
> same author - I think I thought one was a Mahy. The local library had a
> great collection of DWJ for a long time, until I discovered one day that
> they had all disappeared in one of those "get rid of the old books"
> campaigns. This was the first of many traumatic missing book events that
> led me to find and hoard my own copies of favourite books :)
>
> Emma

My discovery story isn't particularly interesting, although it's not
_particularly_ boring, either.  Mainly, I remember that _Dogsbody_ was the
first DWJ I read - my parents bought it for me along with a bunch of other
books for my eighth birthday.  They also took out _The Neverending Story_
for me from the _library_ for part of that present, which is kind of funny
in retrospect, but I really did appreciate it, since the movie was my
favorite movie at the time ;-).  I didn't like _Dogsbody_ particularly at
eight, but then I ended up buying _The Lives of Christopher Chant_ at a
school booksale a few months later - it had a nice fantasy cover - and
that was when I got into DWJ.  The funny thing is that I have vauge
memories of seeing DWJ books in the library at some point before that and
having some kind of prejudice against them.  I can definitely remember
thinking that _Charmed Life_ looked like one of *those* books, but I have
no memory at all of what *those* books were ;-).  Only that I was proven
wrong when I actually bothered to read it ;-).

					---Kyra

---
"Thinking about 'My Humps' as the title of a song about the hotness of
Kierkegaard is not best practice, eroticism-wise."
					---John Holbo