[DWJ] Survey Part 3: Everything Else

Elizabeth Evans er.evans at auckland.ac.nz
Wed Mar 29 15:13:35 EST 2006

Hallie said:

>Writer who most reminds me of DWJ: Margaret Mahy

And Emma concurred:
I agree heartily with this mystery person's opinion. I discovered both DWJ
and Mahy at around the same age, and even managed to get their books mixed
up in my head for a while. I am too tired to pin-point the similarities,
but think they both write great children/adolescent characters. They're
both great at writing believable magic as well.

And coincidentally, Margaret Mahy has recently won an award, as I found out yesterday in an emailed news item from our College of Education:

Margaret Mahy the inaugural Sylvia Ashton-Warner Fellow and in residence on campus in 2002, has been awarded the Hans Christian Andersen Award, the "Little Nobel". The award is given biennially by the International Board on Books for Young People (IBBY) to honour an author who has made a lasting contribution to international children's literature. Previous winners have included Aidan Chambers, Patricia Wrightson and Paula Fox. Nominees for the 2006 award included E.L.Konigsburg (USA), Philip Pullman (UK) and Jean Little (Canada).

Katherine Paterson our 2005 Fellow, has been awarded the Astrid Lindgren Memorial Award. The Swedish government presents this award annually in memory of Astrid Lindgren, the Swedish writer for children who died in 2002. The award seeks to promote children's and youth literature around the world. Previous winners have included British author Philip Pullman and American author and illustrator Maurice Sendak. Nominees for the 2006 award included David Almond, Quentin Blake, Susan Cooper, Russell Hoban, Shirley Hughes, Michel Morpurgo, Peter Sis and Diana Wynne Jones.

Of her work the jury said Katherine "is a brilliant psychologist who gets right under the skin of the vulnerable young people she creates .... she avoids simple solutions, building instead on the inner strength and courage of her main characters."

 Congratulations to Margaret Mahy and Katherine Paterson!

The Sylvia Ashton-Warner Library is privileged to have had such giants of children's literature as recipients of our Fellowship.

Regards
Elizabeth.