[DWJ] Survey Part 3: Everything Else

liril at gmx.net liril at gmx.net
Mon Mar 27 03:05:56 EST 2006

Hi everybody,

the lists are so long, that although they are very interesting it's
difficult to find a starting point to comment.

I didn't list favorite music (if I remeber correctly) so I cannot claim
anything of this category.

For me it's definitly true that many of the books/authors on my list were
recommendations by the DWJ-list. I'm also one of the people who discovered
Bujold through it and listed her as a favorite author.

>From this point of view I found a not DWJ-list "recommendation chain"
interesting. I listed the Alanna Books by Tamora Pierce. They were a true
discovery for me as a teenager: a female hero! And I still like them. Her
other books do not work so well for me, and I did not like what she did to
(or with...) her world with the Immortal Series. Also, the other books I
read by her feel more aimed to younger audience. I read them for the first
time as an adult, so I cannot say if this is responsible for this different
feeling. Anyhow, Tamora Pierce used to have an interesting website (I
haven't checked for a while, maybe it is still) with book recommendations.
Through these I discovered Martha Wells (Death of a Necromancer was the
recommended book) and Sherwood Smith - and the comments on her site conviced
me to try Patrick O'Brian. That's nearly a favorite author/books family
tree, isn't it? :-)

Oh, and I'm curious who listed Thomas Mann as favourite author.

Bettina

--
Bis zu 70% Ihrer Onlinekosten sparen: GMX SmartSurfer!
Kostenlos downloaden: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/smartsurfer