[DWJ] book rec

Gili Bar-Hillel gbhillel at netvision.net.il
Sat Mar 25 14:16:09 EST 2006

For girls there are "Are you There God, It's Me, Margaret" which is about a
girl from an intermarriage family and "Starring Sally J. Freedman as
Herself" which is set in the States during W.W.II, both by Judy Blume. All
the other books I can think of seem to be holocaust books. There's "The
Island on Bird Street" by Uri Orlev, which is possibly the best book for
9-11 year olds ever written in Hebrew, I know it's available in English as
well. And there are others I haven't read but know about, such as "Number
the Stars", "When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit", "The Devil's Arithmetic" and "I
am David". But there's something rather extreme about holocaust books, might
be pushing a point not very subtly. At the other extreme there are books
like "The Indian in the Cupboard" in which the kids all have Jewish (in
fact, Israeli) names, but there's nothing particularly Jewish about the
book. Though if I'm not mistaken Lynn Reid Banks has a YA book that focuses
on the Arab-Israeli conflict - again, not very subtle. I don't tend to like
books with overt political agendas. "Running on Eggs" by Anna Levine is one,
a decent book (Anna Levine herself is charming in person) but I found the
treatment of the Arab-Israeli conflict a bit oversimplified - then again, I
don't know how one would go about writing about this topic without
oversimplifying.  Or from a completely different perspective, the folktales
of Isaac Bashevis Singer, about the wise men of Chelm, really good reading
and absolutely Jewish, but nothing to do with daily modern life. Oh! I know,
I know! The "All of a Kind" family series by Sidney Taylor. About a large
lower-East-side Jewish family trying to make ends meet during the
depression, if I remember correctly. That's the only series I can think
about which is not necessarily *about* being Jewish or Jewish-related
issues, but in which the family's Jewishness is nonetheless significant to
the story.