[DWJ] book rec

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Sat Mar 25 11:13:23 EST 2006

Deborah:

>In any case, I'd love to suggest a book which could model some
>positive images of Jews which would be accessible and interesting
>to these kids.  The only one I can think of is Karen Hesse's
>_Witness_.

This probably won't be of any use, but the only thing I could come up
with for that age group was Konigsberg's _About the B'nai Bagals_.
Very easy-going and funny, and possibly too dated, but my two loved
it - Bec thinks she was around 12 when she read it.

>As an aside, I'm also helping her build a shopping list for
>the 7th and 8th grade Drop Everything And Read shelves.  Any
>general suggestions would be welcome!  The kids' favorite books
>right now are
>
>- House of the Scorpion
>- Hoot
>- Anything by Walter Dean Myers
>- Anything by S. E. Hinton
>
>And they also like
>
>- John Bellairs
>- Garth Nix
>- The Earth, My Butt, and Other Big Round Things
>- A Great and Terrible Beauty
>- Esperanza Rising & Becoming Naomi Leon
>- Anything Civil Rights (Eg Watsons Go to Birmingham)
>- Biographies
>- Civil rights biography
>- And they're finally getting into Uglies.

I just read Nancy Farmer's _The Sea of Trolls_, which was great - and
nice treatment of cultural differences and the possibility of
friendship between people with very different ideologies.  _Poison_
maybe?  I wasn't *as* blown away as a lot have been, but thought it
was a nice dark Fairie and interesting narrative twist.  Cara read
_Millions_ and the sequel and thought they were great.  And I'm
assuming you've already insisted on _The Thief_ at least!

Mind's gone blank as always, but will keep turning it over...

Hallie