[DWJ] Survey Part 3: Everything Else

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Fri Mar 24 06:25:05 EST 2006

CURIOUS ABOUT:

I am particularly curious as to whether anyone else on the list reads
_Hitherby Dragons_ (up until very recently, at rebecca.hitherby.com,
although it seems to be changing over to imago.hitherby.com.  If they
don't, they should!  It also features a young girl who isn't actually a
young girl, exactly, with a brother named Martin who isn't actually her
brother, exactly, so look - _Hexwood_-elements!).

A A Attanasio - Radix especially, which I bought remaindered years ago.
I've never met anyone else who has read any of these books, and would
be curious to know other people's reactions.  Although I haven't
re-read any for years, so I don't know if my tastes will have changed!

MUSIC:

-Pulp, Yoko Kanno and the Seatbelts, Belle & Sebastian, anything and
everything British from the 60s, "~Thanatos~ If I Can't Be Yours"
from the _End of Evangelion_ movie, Franz Ferdinand

-pop classical like Greig and 1812 Overture, prog rock like Ladyhawke
and Journey to the Centre of the Earth and War of the Worlds.

-Favourite composers Sibelius, Bartok, Copland.  Favourite
songwriter, and very influential on my compositions, Kate Bush.
Favourite piece in which to take part, "Dark Sun" by Stephen Montague.

- classical & instrumental, (lush orchestral
with lots of strings, or stirring brass - any
brass actually), some jazz - the Sunday afternoon
variety rather than the heavy sort. Favourite
composers are Mozart, Vivaldi & Handel

- lots of folk & trad, Elliott Smith, Jeff Buckley, Azure Ray, Pretty
Balanced, The Mediaeval Baebes (more recent), Loreena McKennitt, Dead
Can Dance, Lisa Gerrard, Jose Gonzalez

Favorite Broadway Musicals:" Sweeney Todd" and "The Music Man" (ain't
that a combination!)

Musicals where I scream when the ending is reached : "Rent" (Mimi
should stay dead, do you hear me? Dead!) and "My Fair Lady" (She goes
back to him? Shaw had it figured out ages earlier!)

Favourite composers- Benjamin Britten, Arvo Part, William Byrd, J.S.
Bach, Osvaldo Golijov ("La Pasion Segun San Marcos"!!!)

Favorite performers: Ian Bostridge, Anne Sophie von Otter, Glenn
Gould, The Tallis Scholars, The Kronos Quartet, The Emerson Quartet
("The Art of Fugue"!!!!)

- The Bills, The Magnetic Fields, The Ditty Bops, ABBA (sorry), The
Eurythmics, Sweet Honey in the Rock, Y'all, kd Lang, Annie Lennox,
Andrew Bird, Bobby McFerrin, Jane Siberry, Leonard Cohen, Rufus
Wainwright, Dolly Parton

FILMS:

- Breakfast at Tiffanys; An Affair to Remember; Dogma: Pirates of the
Caribbean;
Last of the Mohicans; Most of Miyzaki's

- Dogville

- Favourite film last year : Wallace and Gromit- the Curse of the
Were-Rabbit. (Howl's Moving Castle and Serenity tie for second place.)

-'The Sound of Music'; 'Strictly Ballroom'; 'Brassed Off'; 'Romeo &
Juliet' (Zeffirelli); 'Much Ado about Nothing' (Branagh); 'Lord of
the Rings'; 'Chariots of Fire'; 'Shakespeare in Love'; 'The Parent
Trap'; 'The Shawshank Redemption'; 'Gone with the Wind'.

-To Kill a Mockingbird, The Manchurian Candidate (the
original!), The Usual Suspects, Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan,
Serenity

Most Detested Movies: Forrest Gump, Sin City, Star Trek V (except for
one line - "What does God need with a starship?)

Most disappointing recent movie: "The Lion, the Witch, and the
Wardrobe" - dull, dull, dull.

TV:

current favourite - 'House'; things that have Julie Walters in them,
or Anthony Hopkins.

Favourite TV last year: Doctor Who. Strong placings by Casanova, QI
and Mock The Week.

- Britcoms (Blackadder, Fawlty Towers, etc., anime (in particular Trigun)

- Doctor Who, Firefly, Dead Like Me, Always Greener, Round the Twist,
Foyle's War, Cadfael, New Tricks.

-Anything with David Attenborough
Buffy the vampire slayer
BBC 1995 Pride and Prejudice

New favourite TV comedy ever The Mighty Boosh
(http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/mightyboosh/,
http://www.themightyboosh.com)

TV Show with which I'm currently obsessed: The Sandbaggers!!!!

FOOD:

- wonton mee; bulgoki; roast beef, yorkshire pudding, broccoli and
mashed potatoes; pickles; watermelon.

- garlic (well, it's the common element in a lot of my favourite meals!)

- apart from chocolate, pasta of all kinds, and soups
(thick, thin, with noodles...)

- olives stuffed with blue cheese; chocolate; chicken pie. This list
could go on and on, because I _do_  like food, but I'll stop there.

- pasta, spicy Asian food of a variety of sorts, gingerbread (and
ginger in general), lots of fruits

-Beverage of preference: coffee - preferably latte - hot and strong
and in a bowl

ANIMALS AND PEOPLE (loosely):

- I am definitely a cat person.

- Dog person... JR terriers.

- Dog person

  -animal of preference:
        1) at home - cat.
        2) on tv and in zoos - either Bengal Tiger or the White Rhino,
with the Giraffe coming in close behind

- A potted plant person... I talk to them and they grow nicely under
my care :-)

Favourite type of cat: Burmese

FAVOURITE FAIRY TALE:

- Town Musicians of Bremen (Bremer Stadtmuskikanten - J. and W.
Grimm) and dimly remembered story from Arabian Nights (abridged
children's version - it involved a sister rescuing her brothers who
had been turned to stone, an a bracelet on which the stones stopped
being moveable when something had happened to one of the brothers)

- Seven Swans (I liked the fact that the sister had to do all the
hard heroic work of weaving nettle shirts, plus staying silent seemed
VERY heroic to me as a chatty child)

- Beauty and beast

- Really, the best answer I can give is all of Greek and Norse mythology!

- The Goose Girl

- Beauty and the beast, Cinderella

- Tam Lin

-Tam Lin, East of the Sun, West of the Moon/Brown Bear of Norway

Fav fairy tale re-telling: "Jack the Giant Killer" by Charles de Lint
(assured my worried and feminist 13-year-old self that women could be
strong fairy-tale heroes too)

CURRENTLY READING (Probably not current any more):

-Have just finished 'The Hallowed Hunt' by
Lois McMaster Bujold - as always an enthralling
reading experience, opening up a new concept in
the fantasy genre. I read it at a gallop so will
have to go back and enjoy the finer points. The
Curse of Chalion is still my favourite of her
works, but I'm sure this one will grow on me too.

  -The Penguin Eliza Acton (1845 cookbook), Bujold's Brothers in Arms, The
Art of Genes

- Recently finished Patricia McKillip's Solstice Wood - now Trudi
Canavan's The Novice

- "Five Hundred Years After" Steven Brust, "Anansi Boys" Neil Gaiman,
"Stranger Things Happen" Kelly Link, "A History of God" Karen
Armstrong, "A Timbered Choir - the Sabbath Poems" Wendell Berry, "The
Way of Ignorance" Wendell Berry

FAVOURITE DWJ:

- Spellcoats, Deep Secret, Howl's Moving Castle, The Lives of
Christopher Chant. The Merlin Conspiracy was excellent...

- Deep Secret; Fire and Hemlock; The lives of Christopher Chant;
Howl's moving castle; A tale of time city

- Charmed Life; The Lives of Christopher Chant; Fire and Hemlock;
Howl's Moving Castle; Hexwood; Deep Secret; Archer's Goon; Tale of
Time City; Hexwood; Year of the Griffin

- Fire and Hemlock, Hexwood, Witch Week, Magicians of Caprona

Fav DWJ: Howl's Moving Castle. 2nd fav DWJ: Charmed Life

- Sudden Wild Magic, Power of Three, and lots of others.

- Some favourite scenes in DWJ books:
The ghost going through the drawers in Time of the Ghost, the washing-up
spell in Magicians of Caprona, Sirius raging in Dogsbody, Hathaway's
house in Archer's Goon, the funeral in Fire and Hemlock... also
depending on what day it is.

DWJ not read yet: Derkholm, Year of the Griffin, Aunt Maria, Witch's
Business, Castle in the Air

First DWJ:
- Dogsbody

- Ogre Downstairs

Favourite web comic:  College Roomies From Hell!!!.

Exercise - walking

Some favourite cartoonists: Bill Watterson, Charles Addams, William
Heath-Robinson, Gary Larson,
Steve Bell, Posy Simmonds, Giles

Video Games: _Final Fantasy IV_, _Chrono Trigger_, _Final Fantasy VII_,
_Xenogears_

Gardens - cottage kind.

Books I haven't liked:  Dan Brown.  Can't think of anything else I've
disliked so much for a long time.  Iain M Banks - Iain Banks I like,
but the two Iain M Banks I've read seem to really play up the nasty
element which I can drown out in Iain Banks. Robert Rankin.

And one un-categorisable book - Requiem for a Woman's Soul, by Omar
Rivabella.  I read this in an evening, threw up most of the night,
and joined Amnesty International the next day.  I've never had any
other book affect me like that.

Some books I'm waiting for (either to be published at all, or to be in
paperback to buy):
Scholar of Magics, The Lies of Locke Lamora, Temeraire, Melusine

Some favourite blogs:

Making Light (http://www.nielsenhayden.com/makinglight/), ajhall
(http://ajhalluk.livejournal.com/ ), mistful
(http://mistful.livejournal.com/)- if only she updated more often. Her
reviews of the Harry Potter films are just wonderful.

- Making Light, Sherwood Smith's LJ (http://sartorias.livejournal.com/)

Some favourite newsgroups:
alt.fan.pratchett, alt.books.tom-holt, uk.rec.sheds

Favourite daytime temperature: 30 Celsius

Favourite comfort reading:
- Jill Churchhill ("cosy crime"), Bill Watterson
- Janet Evanovich, Stephanie Plum series

Favourite tree:
- the huge cedar in front of the house in France my family used to
spend summer holidays

- a brilliant tree in Avoca Handweaver's, Wicklow (Ireland!), which
the (much younger) girls immediately called 'the fairy tree'.  Rowan
& hazel (and more - tree names can be quite intoxicating!)

The frustrating distance I currently live from my DWJ book
collection: 2500 miles/4000 km!

Favourite poet: Christian Morgenstern.

Writer who most reminds me of DWJ: Margaret Mahy

Most disappointing recent read: "A Feast for Crows" by George R. R.
Martin - all those pages to go . . . .nowhere. And none of my favorite
characters!

Most pressing problem right now: Resisting picking up and starting
"Shards of Honor" for fear that I'll be forced/enticed into re-reading
the entire Vorkosigan saga when the to-be-read pile is so colossal!

Favorite Super-Hero: The Flash, Wonder Woman

Favorite Super-Hero Team: The Legion of Super-Heroes (Long Live the Legion!)