[DWJ] Survey: The blather

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Fri Mar 24 06:14:48 EST 2006

Right, so the next three posts will contain the results for which
everyone's been breathlessly waiting, no doubt!  We ended up with a
grand total of 17 contributions, and I've had to take names off the
lists for collation purposes, so here's who they are:  Kyra, Sally,
Jennifer, Emma, Bettina, Jane, Sue, Ulrika, Estair, Philip,
Elizabeth, Rosemary, Charlie, Meredith, Ros, Widdy (and me).  Big
thank you to everyone who sent me a list - and apologies.  I had to
take off most comments, which will be understandable when you see the
lengths of the lists, but it was reluctantly, and in hopes that
people will repeat them when we get to discussion.  I also had to
make a lot of decisions about placement of some entries into
'favourite author' or 'favourite titles/series' category: sometimes
it was straight-forward, but other times not so easy - I've tried to
put in 'particularly -- ' or 'except --' comments where possible, but
may have ended up placing an author or series in the wrong category -
please feel free to correct the mistake if this has happened.

I really hope, as I said, that people will comment on their own
choices and ask about others' - but on a practical note, as the posts
are so long, it'd probably help those who read in digest if people
snipped as much as possible when doing so.  Also on a practical note,
I've omitted most accents and avoided italics, bold type, etc, as I
know these cause problems for some people.  The 'Everything Else'
section was hard to organise, but only because people threw out such
interesting and original comments!  Unsurprising, but still a
delight.  And (last disclaimer) more people didn't include favourite
DWJs than did, so that list isn't representative.

Finally, a bit of trivia: Bujold is the author most mentioned as
having been discovered through the DWJ-list.  Interesting to see if
this remained true if *everyone* listed the favourite books/authors
they'd read because of recommendations here...

Hallie