[DWJ] Seven Virtues (was Re: sir Thursday - spoiler alert)

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 21 23:01:09 EST 2006

--- Roger Burton West <roger at firedrake.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 21, 2006 at 09:57:22AM +0000, Minnow
> wrote:
>
> >That's because they aren't really traditional, I
> suspect.  Three of them,
> >faith, hope and charity, are the stand-alone
> Pauline virtues, and after
> >that it's not obvious and different sources give
> different virtues.
>
> Just to add to the confusion, the extra four (on top
> of the standard FH&C)
> _I_ was taught were Justice, Mercy, Fortitude and
> Temperance. I haven't
> come across Mercy in the list anywhere else, and I
> don't now remember
> the affiliation of whoever it was who taught me that
> list...

Wikipedia has a good account of the various groups of
seven virtues. My list is the version that combines
the Pauline virtues with the Platonic (or Cardinal).
Other lists have virtues that more directly oppose the
seven deadlies.
Sin                         Virtue
Lust (undesired love)       Chastity (purity)
Gluttony (over-indulgence)   Moderation
(self-restraint)
Greed (avarice)             Generosity (vigilance)
Sloth (laziness)            Zeal (enthusiasm)
Wrath (anger)               Meekness (composure)
Envy (jealousy)             Charity (giving)
Pride (vanity)              Humility (humbleness)

We also have the seven Holy Virtues
Ranked in ascending order of sanctity, the seven holy
virtues are:

Chastity (Latin, virtus) (courage, opposes lust) —
Courage and boldness. Embracing of moral wholesomeness
and achieveing purity of thought through education and
betterment.
Generosity (Latin, liberalis) (will, opposes greed) —
Willingness to give. A nobility of thought or actions.

Moderation (Latin, frenum) (self-control, opposes
gluttony) —
Constant mindfulness of others and one's surroundings;
practicing self-control, abstention, and moderation.
Zeal (Latin, industria) (ethics, opposes sloth) —
A zealous and careful nature in one's actions and
work. Decisive work ethic.
Meekness (Latin, patientia) (peace, opposes wrath) —
Forebearance and endurance through moderation.
Charity (Latin, humanitas) (satisfaction, opposes
envy) —
Charity, compassion, friendship, and sympathy without
prejudice.
Humility (Latin, humilitas) (modesty, opposes pride) —
modest behavior, selflessness, and the giving of
respect.

and the this list of Holy Virtues
Restraint is the keystone of the seven holy virtues.
The other holy virtues are created through selfless
pursuits:

Valor — Pursuit of Courage and Knowledge
Generosity — Pursuit of Will
Diligence — Pursuit of Ethics
Patience — Pursuit of Peace
Kindness — Pursuit of Charity
Humility — Pursuit of Modesty

all from
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_virtues

Jon - who thinks sin is much more fun, and has very
fond memories of Rachel Welch as Lust in the proper
movie of Bedazzled.