[DWJ] please help ID children's book vaguely remembered

Belben, Philip (Energy Wholesale) Philip.Belben at eon-uk.com
Mon Mar 20 06:17:01 EST 2006

Sally, replying to Esther:

> This is, without a doubt, THE WINTER OF ENCHANTMENT, by Victoria
> Walker. The sequel is called A HOUSE CALLED HADLOWS.

[...]

> > The book was about a 20th century boy who somehow gets
> > into a magic place where a girl from maybe the 1800's
> > is held captive.  It's a mansion with a magic table
> > that gives her whatever food she wishes for.  She can
> > walk in a garden outside and be in the house, but
> > that's it.  And she has a big cat.  She's bored and
> > lonely.
> >
> > It seems that her guardian quarreled with a magician
> > and imprisioning her is the magician's revenge.  The
> > modern boy takes it as a quest to free her, and
> > succeeds in the end, and she goes back to her own
> > time.  But as the modern boy is missing her, he meets
> > his new stepparent? and stepsister? who looks just
> > like his captive friend.  And she writes the name of
> > the cat under his drawing of it.

This sounds excellent.  I shall have to look out for it.  All I could
think of when reading Esther's description was that it wasn't "Conrad's
Fate" or "Tom's Midnight Garden"...

Philip.
our prior permission is prohibited.

represent those of the E.ON Group.

Coventry, CV4 8LG.
Registered in England & Wales No. 2366970

Coventry, CV4 8LG
Registered in England & Wales No. 4178314

E.ON UK Trading Ltd is regulated by the Financial Services
Authority to carry out investment activities.

Telephone +44 (0) 2476 42 4000
Fax +44 (0) 2476 42 5432