[DWJ] please help ID children's book vaguely remembered

estairm at yahoo.com estairm at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 19 18:45:39 EST 2006

Hi, all,

I've been trying to google a book I remember only a
few details of.  With no success.  Tried a Book
Stumper website, and enjoyed the digression, but also
no results.

Then I remembered this group and thought I'd have the
best chances with you guys.

The book was about a 20th century boy who somehow gets
into a magic place where a girl from maybe the 1800's
is held captive.  It's a mansion with a magic table
that gives her whatever food she wishes for.  She can
walk in a garden outside and be in the house, but
that's it.  And she has a big cat.  She's bored and
lonely.

It seems that her guardian quarreled with a magician
and imprisioning her is the magician's revenge.  The
modern boy takes it as a quest to free her, and
succeeds in the end, and she goes back to her own
time.  But as the modern boy is missing her, he meets
his new stepparent? and stepsister? who looks just
like his captive friend.  And she writes the name of
the cat under his drawing of it.

Some of this may be wrong.  But oh, does anyone know
this book?

Esther
in Israel