[DWJ] offtopic dialect question

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Wed Mar 8 11:11:49 EST 2006

On Mar 8, 2006, at 8:35 AM, shawyer at mail.utexas.edu wrote:

> To be honest, I *know* that Gwendolen's hair is not really in fussy
> ringlets
> because of the Janet issue, but I *imagine* it in fussy ringlets all
> the same .
> . . does that make sense? I guess the Gwendolen who exists in my
> mind's eye is
> different from the Gwendolen who exists on the page of DWJ's book: I
> think
> probably because she's such a character that she takes on a life of
> her own
> when I'm reading. So, not a case of character running away from
> author, but a
> case of character runing away from the reader! Do others experience
> this?
> Sue

I guess I don't have much visual imagination -- well, I know I don't --
and it
never occurred to me that their hair would have to look the same.  I
think
of Janet as the sort of person who would keep their hair out of their
face --
in pigtails, maybe?  Maybe Janet's hair looks like Gwendolyn's hair when
she takes it down.  I guess that might work ....

You can safely assume that you've created God in your own
image when it turns out that God hates all the same people
you do.

                                                                    Anne
Lamott