[DWJ] offtopic dialect question

shawyer at mail.utexas.edu shawyer at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Mar 8 10:35:29 EST 2006

To be honest, I *know* that Gwendolen's hair is not really in fussy ringlets
because of the Janet issue, but I *imagine* it in fussy ringlets all the same .
. . does that make sense? I guess the Gwendolen who exists in my mind's eye is
different from the Gwendolen who exists on the page of DWJ's book: I think
probably because she's such a character that she takes on a life of her own
when I'm reading. So, not a case of character running away from author, but a
case of character runing away from the reader! Do others experience this?
Sue