[DWJ] offtopic dialect question

Roslyn rosgross at bigpond.net.au
Fri Mar 3 03:33:21 EST 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: <sally at sallyodgers.com>
To: "Diana Wynne Jones" <dwj at suberic.net>
Sent: Friday, March 03, 2006 12:16 PM
Subject: Re: [DWJ] offtopic dialect question

> No doubt the original pigtails were plaited and greased etc... but words
> do mutate to mean something different, nein? Anyone ever heard of a
> "doorknocker" style? 'twas a long plait looped back on itself and fastened
> so it made a solid club of plaited hair.

No, never heard of this, but has anyone heard of a Pollyanna? When my
daughter was a little girl, and she wore most of her longish hair out, but a
section at the front was swept up in a ponytail (with the rest hanging free)
with an elastic band or barrette, she claimed that it was called a
Pollyanna, or a Polly, for short. I'd never heard of it at the time, and
thought it might be an American expression. We never used it when I was a
kid, AKAIK.

Ros