[DWJ] offtopic dialect question

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Thu Mar 2 21:05:48 EST 2006

On Mar 2, 2006, at 3:46 PM, Hallie O'Donovan wrote:

> I was amused to come across this in Susan Cooper's _Victory_ tonight:
> ' ... and the sailors with long hair plaited each other's pigtails
> smooth and neat.' (FWIW,  I'm one of the pigtail = braid/plait people,
> but didn't bother chiming in because of the type of multiple-location
> confusion Gili described.)

I think the use of pigtail/plait for a Chinese man [under the Manchu
dynasty]
  or for a sailor is pretty well established.

I'm not sure that that usage has anything to do with how various
hairstyles
for little girls are described today.

I wish she'd written Susan Cooper's stuff, too, because then I'd like
it.

- Dieting is the cure that doesn't work for the
   disease that isn't real.