[DWJ] offtopic dialect question

Elizabeth Bentley elizabeth at wardrobe-on-the-web.com
Thu Mar 2 15:01:27 EST 2006

I once read a book which had a reference to Kenwigses, which made it clear
that it was plaits that were being so described. I checked this out and
found this is a Dickens reference - Nicholas Nickleby: "Mrs Kenwigs, too,
was quite a lady in her manners, and of a very genteel family,
having an uncle who collected a water-rate; besides which
distinction, the two eldest of her little girls went twice a week to
a dancing school in the neighbourhood, and had flaxen hair, tied
with blue ribbons, hanging in luxuriant pigtails down their backs"

EB
Elizabeth Bentley, Head of Learning Resources
Northbrook C of E School, London, UK
mailto:elizabeth at wardrobe-on-the-web.com