Sally Odgers sodgers at tassie.net.au
Sun Mar 12 20:58:21 EST 2006

This is even Offer Topica-

If you went into a cafe and ordered a cup/pot of tea, what would you assume
the waitress would assume you wanted?

I ask this because I didn't get what I expected, and my daughter argued I
was in the wrong.
I'll insert spoiler space now...

Right. I expected a cup of Indian tea, with milk supplied separately. That's
what I always got before.

I did *not* expect Emperor Garden tea, which is pale green and herbal...

I asked for "ordinary tea" the second time, and got - Earl Grey.

I don't like Earl Grey. It doesn't taste anything *like* plain Indian tea.

My daughter says I should have specified "Indian tea". I say I should only
have specified if I wanted something that *wasn't* Indian tea. I said "Tea"
and if the waitress was unsure, she should have asked for qualification.

As I said, always in that cafe (same waitress, too) I have asked for "tea"
and got "tea"... except this week.

So, am I being totally unreasonable?

Sallyo.