Sally Odgers sodgers at tassie.net.au
Sun Mar 12 19:30:29 EST 2006

> such), people will know that you are committed to this person. Why does it
> matter if you are legally bound or not?

It matters a great deal to some people. Marriage means - to some -
"forever", and a public statement of that. To Christians it often means a
huge amount.

I think the problem here is one that hits all over the place. When we become
more liberal and more accepting of different ways (which is Good) we often
make the traditionalists feel just as excluded as the others did once (which
is Bad).  It used to be Mariiage - Good, Cohabiting - Bad, now it seems
Cohabiting - Fine, Marriage - Sorry, You don't Exist.

Like any other form of positive discrimination, this can cause problems...

Sallyo.