Sally Odgers sodgers at tassie.net.au
Sun Mar 12 19:12:00 EST 2006

On calling someone one doesn't know... that usually happens when I *do* know
(say) Andrew Smith or Jane Jones, and when I call them back on a number I
have, a woman/man answers. Is it - a spouse? A friend? Sister/brother?

What I do is say; Hello, this is Sally Odgers. Is Andrew/Jane there? which
my husband says sounds abrupt and a bit rude, as if I'm "using the other
person like an answer machine".

Oh well...

Sallyo.