[DWJ] OT: Bollywood recommendations, please!

Amy Harlib aharlib at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 30 23:15:28 EDT 2006

aharlib at earthlink.net

>I know there are people here knowledgeable about Bollywood, so this
> seems to place to ask:
>
> We watched "Bollywood Hollywood" with the family and loved it; tonight
> we watched "Bride and Prejudice" and loved it even more. Now we think
> we're ready to graduate to real Bollywood films-- any recommendations?
>
> (and how do we obtain them? the rental shop doesn't seem to have any,
> only the crossovers)
>
>   Irina

You'll have to try and get Bollywood from on-line sources.
I have weird tastes in movies in general.  I am interested in how myth and
history is portrayed in popular entertainment media - so I generally tend to
loathe anything that is contemporary.  Nearly every Bolllywood film I have
seen has a historical period setting.

My favorite is Ashoka swiftly followed by Lagaan, Mangal Pandey - The
Uprising, Agni Varsha, Mughal E Azam, Taj Mahal: An Eternal Love Story,
Paheli, Kama Sutra, Mother India.  You might also try "art films" that have
no musical numbers:  anything by Satyajit Ray, The Master Carpenter, The
Warrior, Sringaram, Iruvar (actually contemporary but about filmmaking and
politics and fascinating), and Uday Shankar's marvelous
semi-autobiographical Kalpana.  I have also been lucky to have seen rare
archival prints at the Museum of Modern Art of the very first films ever
made in India (all mythological) and a 1936 black and white Bollywood period
piece: Sant Tukaram.
And there's Bollywood directed by B. J. Khan, based on Sashi Tharoor's novel
'Show Business' - a hilarious parody of Bollywood cliches.
Wish I could share more.
Good luck in your search.
Amy