[DWJ] Plagiarism or homage? (was Big Bad Read)

Elizabeth G. Holtrop elizabeth at bouma-holtrop.com
Fri Jun 30 22:40:14 EDT 2006

Thanks for your various replies to my question.  The general  concensus seems to be that homage is defined either by using a name in  a very inconspicuous way (Sally's hero named Tom) or by making it very  obvious the character is named after the first author's  character.  Makes sense to me. :)

  E.

LWilkinson at slv.vic.gov.au wrote:

In the novel that I'm writing currently, I have named the Love Interest
Thomas, which is a secret (well, not anymore) homage to Thomas Lynn. My
Thomas is tall with glasses, but is otherwise quite unlike Tom. It just
seemed so easy to imagine falling in love with him... sigh...

lili (who is David in Eight Days of Luke)