[DWJ] OT: Bollywood recommendations, please!

Tarja Rainio tarja.rainio at welho.com
Fri Jun 30 18:01:24 EDT 2006

Lainaus Irina Rempt <irina at valdyas.org>:

> I know there are people here knowledgeable about Bollywood, so this
> seems to place to ask:
>
> We watched "Bollywood Hollywood" with the family and loved it; tonight
> we watched "Bride and Prejudice" and loved it even more. Now we think
> we're ready to graduate to real Bollywood films-- any recommendations?
>
> (and how do we obtain them? the rental shop doesn't seem to have any,
> only the crossovers)

I made a post on my LJ (http://vierran45.livejournal.com/47202.html) about a
year ago on Bollywood films I considered in my top 10 at that time. The post
also includes a link to my friend's top 10, but here is a direct link to that
as well:
http://eatingmuffins.typepad.com/eating_muffins/2005/06/bollywood_tips.html

In addition to the films already listed there, I would also recommend Mr. and
Mrs. Iyer, an art film about two people who travel through countryside torn
apart by communal riots; Water, Deepa Mehta's beautiful, tragic, yet hopeful
film about widows set in 1940s.

Still, I think the best bets on starting to watch "real" Bollywood films are
either Kal Ho Naa Ho (set in New York) or Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham (set in
India and London, a bit weepy towards the end, but has all the big names in
it).

Hope these suggestions are of some help.

As to finding the films, check out if you have some kind of Indian shop in the
vicinity - they are bound to have videos or DVDs either for sale or to rent.

Tarja