[DWJ] Bristo(l) (was: Big Bad Read)

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Fri Jun 30 12:31:25 EDT 2006

On Friday, June 30, 2006, at 04:19 AM, Belben, Philip ((Energy
Wholesale)) wrote:

>>> And Judith, who is back trying to catch up on the masses of DWJ email
>>> after two days in bed with a verynasty bout of something I won't go
>>> into details about, asks:
>>
>> So, how do you pronounce Bristol? Is the 'l' silent? I have always
>> assumed briss-tle.
>
> That's right.  The L is sounded, and probably was before it was
> written;
> but the locals sometimes make the T silent (in which case it's often
> written "Bristle").

I grew up in Connecticut and there's a Bristol there, pronounced
briss-tle,
with a full 't' in the second syllable.

However, I would never defend Connecticut pronounciations of English
names as being definitive.  For example, there's a river that flows past
New London called the Thames.  That's pronounced as spelled, rhymes
with 'flames', has a 'th' like the beginning of 'thistle'

Of course, the whole theme of place names in the USA that are not
pronounced as you might expect is endless.  Endless.

... the Bible is full of literature's two great
themes, love and death (as well as its
exciting cariacatures, sex and violence) ...

                                       - Thomas Cahill