[DWJ] Diana Wynne Jones or children's/YA fantasy for gulf coast libraries

deborah.dwj at suberic.net deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Fri Jun 30 12:04:52 EDT 2006

Hello, everybody,

As most of you probably know, a large number of libraries in the
United States Gulf Coast were devastated by last year's hurricane
season. As many of you probably also know, lots of e-mails went
around saying "send whatever books you can!" which resulted in a
deluge of books, some useful and many not, being sent to towns
where the libraries were still big moldy piles of mush and the
librarians had nowhere to put the kindly-meant donations.

I've been looking for a while for homes for some of the books I
review (not the galleys or the advanced reviewer copies, but the
shelf-ready ones), and I finally found this one library system
which was accepting certain books that they direly need. This
library network has Amazon wish lists up, and while I was
browsing, I noticed that one of the libraries had several Diana
Wynne Jones books on its Amazon wish list. So I e-mailed the
librarian in charge of the project:

> I run an extremely active Diana Wynne Jones mailing list, and I
> am sure that if I put out the call on that mailing list people
> would respond, and they would particularly respond to requests
> for children's fantasy books in general and for Diana Wynne
> Jones books in particular. There are only a few Diana Wynne Jones
> books on the wish lists, I saw, but if you think that more than
> that would be useful I will ask on my mailing list. Some people,
> I am sure, will be happy to buy whatever is on the wish lists,
> but I think some people on that list would be more likely to
> donate specifically those Diana Wynne Jones books. What do you
> think?

And she responded:

>Yes, again, that would be wonderful!  There is only one sci-fi
>fantasy reader in the system other than me, and she only knows
>adult works, and has had to concentrate on other areas of her
>collection.  Other librarians have not been ordering them in
>years, simply because they aren't familiar with the genre.
>That, in addition to the entire fiction and children's sections
>of Gulfport and Pass Christian being destroyed leaves us with
>very little on the shelves.  We'd like to try to keep it to
>hardbacks or paperbacks in like-new condition, without spine
>cracking.

So there you go. If any of you have like-new condition DWJ or
other children's/YA F&SF books that you need to find homes for,
or if you feel like making directed donations to libraries that
specifically don't have good collections in those areas, here is
an opportunity to do it. Spread the DWJ love!

Rather than just sending out of the blue, it's probably best if
you e-mail the librarian directly with a list of what you have
and would like to send and its condition. I suspect the same
thing goes if you would just like to buy Amazon books to be
shipped directly to them.

Contact info:
http://www.deweydonationsystem.com/
Sharon Davis <s.davis at harrison.lib.ms.us>
Branch Head
Margaret Sherry Memorial Library
2141 Popps Ferry Road
Biloxi, MS 39532-4251
(228) 388-1633 Phone
(228) 388-0920 Fax

-deborah
--
"I'm a very gentle man, not unlike Gandhi. ... I could kill them
at any moment. But that's really just if they annoy me."