[DWJ] Peter's Room

Ridge, Judith Judith.Ridge at det.nsw.edu.au
Fri Jun 30 01:35:18 EDT 2006

A few days ago I said:

Is a first edition of "Peter's Room" rare? Because I have one-ex-several-libraries, so a bit down-at-mouth, but with dust jacket intact (underneath sturdy sticky-taped-in plastic cover). Pencilled inside is the 1966 price: $1.90-20%  Good heavens!

And-here comes the major confession-I've never read it.

Judith  (thinking she ought to go to bed and read it!)

And thereby thoroughly jinxed myself, because I woke up the next morning evilly ill, and spent the next two days in bed (when I had taken the week off work to write a paper that is due to be given in a fortnight). So I did indeed go to bed and read Peter's Room—and I didn't much care for it. Gave up half way through. Didn't like any of the characters and found the whole thing a bit too sanctimonious and superior for my tastes. So, now I know it's worth something (thanks, Ika!), I think I'll investigate selling it!

Cheers,

Judith