[DWJ] OT: book pricing

Emma Comerford emmaco at tpg.com.au
Thu Jun 29 20:36:35 EDT 2006

At 02:17 AM 30/06/2006, Ika Willis wrote:
>Judith asked:
> >>Is a first edition of "Peter's Room" rare? Because I have
> >> one—ex-several-libraries, so a bit down-at-mouth, but with dust jacket
> >> intact (underneath sturdy sticky-taped-in plastic cover). Pencilled
> >> inside is the 1966 price: $1.90—20%  Good heavens!
>
>Eek! I can't find any first editions on Abe Books UK (which would be the
>most likely source), but you can't *get* a copy - any copy - of Peter's
>Room for under £20 ($AUD55), and the recent reprint is going for £50.
>(Oops.)

I hope you've learnt the error of your evil book destroying ways, Ika :)
But, wow, maybe I should have bought more than one copy of the GGP reprints!

You know, if I (Ok and my partner) dropped down dead I think my family
would have no idea which books were worth any money, and would probably end
up giving up lots of them to charities, who would also not know and sell
them for $2 at a fair. My family aren't really book collectors and my
sisters would probably only want ones they remember us reading together as
kids. Maybe I should actually finishing cataloguing my books and highlight
books they may want to sell. Or write a will and leave an attached note
saying to email this list to find caring homes for my first edition DWJs :)

Emma