[DWJ] Bristol Reader's Day part III -- NB slight spoilers for Pinhoe Egg

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Thu Jun 29 13:17:26 EDT 2006

Bettina:

>  > Yes, you're right - I checked after you and Kyla mentioned the
>>  cousins and holidays.  Though it's still very much in the
>>  behind-the-scenes info category, isn't it?
>
>Definitely. I noticed them when reading LoCC, but it was more like
>noticing another "connection" between LoCC and Charmed Life.
>Personally, I never thought of Francis and Caroline as useless
>parents - maybe they *should* have accepted Chrestomanci's offer but
>I saw that as a problem (or perhaps mistake) in their relationship
>to him and not to their children. But maybe it is, in a way, because
>of their responsibility towards them.

As I said, it was only a very brief skim of CL today, but I'm not
sure *why* they should necessarily have accepted an offer to prevent
their children having magic.

>Now I wonder about the other part of Gwendolyn's "sandwich" -
>between her parents and her marvellous brother. I always saw Cat as
>the "neglected" child, or maybe rather as someone who didn't (want
>to) draw much attention to himself, even from his parents and was
>quite happy being second to his brilliant witch sister. And I
>thought that Gwendolyn was clearly bossing him around since he was
>very small... Hmm. Cat eludes me. Looking forward to the Pinhoe Egg.
>:-)
>
>>  Christopher himself was
>>  seen as pretty snotty, and yet hasn't grown up to be a useless
>>  parent.  And a quick skim through _Charmed Life_ just now could
>>  arguably give more evidence of Christopher-as-Chrestomanci's being
>>  useless than Cat's and Gwendolyn's parents.  Not that I'm wanting to
>>  argue against their uselessness as parents, mind.
>
>The diet? :-)

:)  Definitely!  I meant (though no way to have seen this from what I
wrote) that Christopher could be seen as having failed in his job as
Chrestomanci.  Allowing his anger with Francis to let him ignore a
warning of a serious nature (that Gwendolyn was using Cat's very
strong magic somehow) is pretty irresponsible, looking at it from the
useless perspective.

>Does he feel like a "classical" father-figure at all?

No, now that you mention it, I don't think he does!  Well, except in
a very Victorian and uninvolved-seeming way.

Hallie