[DWJ] RE: Tatsinda

Wed Jun 28 17:08:17 EDT 2006

One of the things that I liked so much about "Tatsinda" by Enright was
that it's a story from a story.  In "Then There Were Five" Oliver falls
down a well and is rescued (of course.)  Randy tells him the story of
Tatsinda as they sit waiting for him to warm up by the campfire.  Much
later the actual book was published - very cool.

I've just been listening to the Melendy books on CD and they really do
stand the test of time though there are a lot of dangerous things that
happen in "And Then There Were Five" - besides Oliver falling down the
well, there's Rush and Mark spying on the illicit distillers and getting
shot at, and the fire at Mark's cousin's farm.  I wonder if they'd be
published today.  One last note - I found out about perfume taking off
nail polish from The Saturdays!

Alison