[DWJ] mutilating, cracking, dunking, and otherwise abusing innocent books

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Tue Jun 27 21:26:35 EDT 2006

On Tuesday, June 27, 2006, at 12:19 PM, Elizabeth Bentley wrote:

> On 27/6/06 01:45, "Otter Perry" <ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com>
> wrote:
>

>> This means, incidentally, that it's been three years since I started
>> _Guns, Germs, and Steel_ and I'm still not done.  But one of the
>> problems is that when I set it down I forget about it.  It's actually
>> more interesting now that he's done with his thesis and is just
>> dealing with brass tacks, if I could only remember I'm reading it.
>> I'm trying leaving it on my bed to see if that gets me to read it.
>>
> I was just looking at my library's copy of this to decide whether to
> keep it
> on the shelf next year (for reasons too complicated to explain, I have
> clear about 8 shelves worth of books this summer, and put them in
> reserve
> stock i.e. boxes). Would you recommend I do so - my students are 11-16?

Well.  What are your students studying?  I'd have said 11-16 was young
for it, but I might have read it at 15 or 16.  But it would have been
fairly
hard slogging.  [And I was a good reader.]

The about it is that he's got a very interesting and  convincing thesis,
but he can't write.  The beginning, in particular, is just horrible.

When he gets down to the nitty-gritty, the writing flows better.  And,
as I said, it's an interesting thesis.

I would still say 11-16 was young for it, unless you've got
exceptional students.  [And if they did want to read it and you had
boxed it, is there another library they could get it from?]

One of the oldest human needs is having someone
to wonder where you are when you don't come
home at night.

                                                     -- Margaret Mead