[DWJ] welcoming the new people

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Tue Jun 27 14:34:51 EDT 2006

To answer my own question...

> In "Deep Secret", Maree describes Nick at one point as "sweetly and kindly
> and utterly selfish".  Based on the evidence in that book and in "The
> Merlin Conspiracy", who thinks Maree's description is accurate?

(Had to think about it a bit, after all...)

I don't think that Nick is so much selfish, as possessed of a very strong
sense of self-preservation - which he needed for a long time, and probably
developed in self-defence, given Janine.  And things become habits.  I think
he learned early to be ruthless in protecting himself from Janine, and went
on to extend those self-protective behaviours into all of his life.  Which,
when employed in non-Janine-related contexts, probably looked a lot like
selfishness.

It's interesting, though, that although Maree calls him selfish, she trusts
him and relies on him more than she does pretty much anyone else.

Until the sky falls on our heads...

Dorian.
--
Dorian E. Gray
israfel at eircom.net
www.livejournal.com/users/dorianegray

"Worst fears realised darling Seth and Rueben too send gumboots."
- Stella Gibbons, "Cold Comfort Farm"