[DWJ] mutilating, cracking, dunking, and otherwise abusing innocent books

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Mon Jun 26 20:45:25 EDT 2006

On Monday, June 26, 2006, at 03:19 PM, Ding, Kylie ((KAM.RIC)) wrote:

> Mind you, I hardly ever do this.  I just close the book and find where
> was when I open it again.  Some friends are quite surpised I can do
> this.

I do that myself most of the time.

When I was in college, I found there were a number of books I
couldn't do that with.  What had happened was that I had developed
the ability to read as a purely physical act.  I could never find within
_pages_ of where I had stopped because the words had gone in my
eyes and right out into the ether somehow.

After I got out of college, I resolved I wouldn't do it any more.  If
I find I'm slipping into it, I stop reading the book and wait until I
can pay attention to it.

This means, incidentally, that it's been three years since I started
_Guns, Germs, and Steel_ and I'm still not done.  But one of the
problems is that when I set it down I forget about it.  It's actually
more interesting now that he's done with his thesis and is just
dealing with brass tacks, if I could only remember I'm reading it.
I'm trying leaving it on my bed to see if that gets me to read it.

 From the pharmaceutical industry's perspective, the ideal disease
would be one that never killed those who suffered from it, that could
not be treated effectively, and that doctors and their patients would
nevertheless insist on treating anyway. Luckily for it, the American
health care industry has discovered (or rather invented) just such a
disease. It is called "obesity."
						          --Paul Campos