[DWJ] welcoming the new people

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Mon Jun 26 16:52:11 EDT 2006

Dorian:

>Topic for discussion (first thing I thought of!):
>
>In "Deep Secret", Maree describes Nick at one point as "sweetly and
>kindly and utterly selfish".  Based on the evidence in that book and
>in "The Merlin Conspiracy", who thinks Maree's description is
>accurate?

Leaping in a bit half-bakedly here (as I've no hope at all of
catching up on *all* the list mail from the last week) - I don't.
But I'm basing it more on Deep Secret than on TMC.  Nick clearly
isn't 'utterly selfish' as he proves in Babylon, and in fact, now I
think of it, that description is really Janine, isn't it?  Of course
the sweetness and kindness is pure poison, but it would have to be,
going with utter selfishness.

But I'm wondering now just why Maree saw him that way?  Perhaps it
might be something like her inability to recognise the need for a bit
of self-protective 'selfishness' herself?  Rupert is so desperately
worried about Maree that you can see why he'd misjudge Nick and think
he's lied to them about asking for Maree to have her stripped half
restored.  Too scared to believe Nick actually did rescue her.

I've only read The Merlin Conspiracy once, and wasn't happy with Nick
in it, so am sticking with DS.

Hallie