[DWJ] Plagiarism or homage? (was Big Bad Read)

Katarina Hjärpe head_overheels at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 26 16:42:40 EDT 2006

 > It depends on if the name is unique. I saw a man named Aslan on a
 > quiz show once. I assume he was named for Narnia.

Hmm, if he looked in any way Asian I wouldn't; it's quite a common first
name in some Central Asian languages and an existing (don't know how
common) surname in Iran. Though as a surname it's usually Arslan.

    Irina

We have an Aslan at the school where I work. I very much doubt he's named
for Narnia - a majority of the kids there are Muslim. (Though the Narnia
books are *very* popular among the kids after the film came. DWJ is not at
all in the same demand, alas.)

Katta