[DWJ] welcoming the new people

shawyer at mail.utexas.edu shawyer at mail.utexas.edu
Mon Jun 26 15:58:17 EDT 2006

Quoting Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise <jenne at fiedlerfamily.net>:

> > In "Deep Secret", Maree describes Nick at one point as "sweetly and kindly
> > and utterly selfish".  Based on the evidence in that book and in "The
> > Merlin Conspiracy", who thinks Maree's description is accurate?
>
> Oh, absolutely. I think one of the themes of _Merlin Conspiracy_ is Nick
> discovering that once one starts paying attention to other people, it's
> difficult to maintain that balance, because you start noticing when
> being utterly selfish is being unkind.

Nick in DS can afford to be selfish, because he's already got lots of people
looking out for him: Maree, Janine, even Ted. (Until the end that is, when he
must do something unselfish in Babylon to take care of someone else).

In MC Nick has only himself to look out for himself, and thus he's got to become
less selfish (helping others: Romanov, Roddy) in order to be selfish/take care
of himself and get back to his own world. He's kind of forced into it on the
dark paths with the "help three people" mandate, but it's also nice to think
that he's growing as a person.

Then again, you might argue that his selfishness in MC is for physical
self-preservation (get back to my own world without being thrown in jail or
worse) and in DS it's more of a spiritual/personal self-preservation (don't
become enslaved by Janine). A different kind of selfishness? Is one better or
worse than the other? And compared to Grundo's use of Roddy to make life easier
for himself in MC?

sue